There are some types of cases we don’t handle. If you contact us for help with a case that we don’t handle, we will try to refer you to other organizations that may be able to help you. You may also visit our Useful Resource Links to find available Community service providers who may be able to help you. For more information about cases we don’t handle, see the questions and answers below.
I have a disability. Can you handle my case?
It depends – we only handle cases that are related to disability. We do not handle cases that are unrelated to disability even if the person has a disability. For example, we would not handle your case if you have a disability but feel you were discriminated against at your job because of your race or gender (and not your disability).
Also, in general we do not handle the following types of cases:
- Assistance becoming the guardian of an individual with a disability
- Child custody
- Consumer law not involving assistive technology
- Criminal defense
- Employment benefits (short- and long-term disability, retirement)
- Estate planning (preparing a trust or will)
- Expungement (destroying or sealing records of a criminal conviction)
- Medical or professional malpractice
- Out-of-state issues
- Personal injury claims
- Traffic violations
- Unemployment insurance
- Workers compensation