Protection and Advocacy for Individuals Rights – PAIR
The purpose of PAIR is to support a system in each State to:
- Protect the legal and human rights of individuals with disabilities who need services that are beyond the scope or eligibility requirements of CAP or the other P&A Programs.
- PAIR may serve people with a disability which substantially limits one or more of their major life activities and who have experienced a violation of their civil rights because they have a disability.
PAIR may provide the following services:
- Protect the rights of individuals with disabilities;
- Have the same general authorities, including access to records and program income, as are set forth in Part C of the Developmental Disabilities Assistance and Bill of Rights Act; and
- Pursue legal, administrative, and other appropriate remedies or approaches to ensure the protection of, and advocacy for, the rights of such individuals within the State; and
- Provide information on and make referrals to programs and services addressing the needs of individuals with disabilities in the State.